The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 3149
  • 160343 Comments
  • Found it, see the Doc was very dismissive of “Karen’s Platform” like it’s not the “Bluestacks, huge screen, gaming mouse and comfy chair”
    Well done!
  • Crown again!
  • If it's Wednesday this must be Preston. Starting to feel dizzy now. Not good as we're going to Blackpool Pleasure Beach tomorrow. Staying with Aunty Janet. Mad as a box of frogs. Needless to say we get on very well. Bfn.
  • @BrianN only went to Preston once, for a meeting
    Normal meeting lunch down South: salads, fruit kebabs
    Up north: Lancaster Hot Pot and apple crumble
    Enjoy your boxes of frogs
  • Q: How to put out the wild fires in Rhodes?
    A: Hold a test match there. The rain will do it
  • @BrianN @DesperateDan @Ixian57 @Kathy @Catsnbirds
    I leave you tonight with one the greatest songs of all time

https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk
  • @Hunnybunnycrownthief ! I don't think @karen68 did anything extraordinary, why do you ask?
    @
  • Good song @Hunnybunny, did you hear Sinead O'Connor died ? I heard that today?
  • A great song certainly, but it's the video that really clinches the deal. She was seriously messed up unfortunately but this should be her legacy.
    Certainly a claimant for the greatest cover version of all time.
    (that opens the door for suggestions...)
  • IMHO, a great cover version is a brilliant reinterpretation, not a copy.
    I offer Tainted Love.
  • By Gloria Jones, originally, who drove her Mini into a tree, killing Marc Bolan. Bitch, he was so cute!
    I offer Make you Feel my Love, but any cover of a Bob Dylan is better than the original
  • @Kathy Karen hit an amazing score in some ABO game, on the IPad, and the Doc was very patronising, as he uses the stuff mentioned above
    BTW I’m now eighth in Season, bumping my old friend Pellystar, a millionaire, who we arranged to meet in London. Unfortunately, he forgot he was flying (First Class, probably) to Barbados that day. He did let me know beforehand
  • @hunnybunny, your revelations are like unpeeling an onion. I should never be surprised, I guess.

Anyway, good news is Derbyshire are off the foot of Div 2. Bad news is it's because Yorkshire have been very naughty boys indeed and have had a stack of points taken away.
  • Agree with you about Dylan. The Byrds and Fairport Convention for example did much better versions of several of his songs than he did.

Mad World (Gary Jules & Michael Andrews) was awesome.

All those boy band covers are just tat,
  • Got my Wordle streak to 299, feeling nervous.
  • Afternoon guys and gals!
    @DesperateDan I'm gonna look for that app on the Play store?
  • The New York Times version, @kathy
  • @DesperateDam can you send me a link to it? I'm can't even find the Google PlayStore
  • Not sure you even need an app. If you search for "wordle new york times" then it just takes me to a page where I can just play it online. There is an app but I have never downloaded it myself.
  • It's fun thing to play once a day (5-10 minutes) and compare scores.
  • I'll try that @DesperateDan
  • Not strictly a cover but Ronan Keating and Cat Stevens “Father and Son”
  • Dan, I thought your streak was interrupted
  • Blinded by the Light?
    Good film too
  • Now off to watch Bowie at the BBC
    On a completely different track:
    If you did Tracks of my Years (Kathy it’s a BBC Radio thing, famous people pick the ten tunes that shaped their lives) my first track is “Starman” by the aforementioned Bowie, without a doubt!
  • Yes @hunnybunny, my official streak was interrupted (initially by the game resetting my stats back to zero for no apparent reason) so I am quoting the number of games since I got it wrong. As for 10 tracks, I will have to think. But I suppose the first one would have to be my first ever single. Slade, Squeeze Me Pleeze me. Not because I like it much, just because it was the beginning. Actually, if you want a really good Slade track, listen to this. Noel Gallagher has described it as one of the best songs in the history of pop, ever.
    https://youtu.be/Ulvp0WCALq4
  • If you want a cover here's a trench coat, an umbrella, a tent, all inside a nuclear bunker.
    https://youtu.be/VPLIb_r8l-4
  • This is pretty good as well.
    https://youtu.be/jadvt7CbH1o
  • I too had a crush on Marc Bolan @hunnybunny and wanted to mangle Gloria round a tree. I also manage to pick 'garment of the week' more often than the missus on Great British Sowing Bee. Me pink?
  • The Fall blew me away much like @karen68's great score.
  • Most of Elvis Costello s big hits were cover versions(Hi-Fidelity, I Can't Stand Up etc.) Surprising given his talent as a song writer.
  • Yes @desperatedan I missed @karen68 's exploits no challenge or flinging time for me. It's been a manic week culminating in covid v3. 0.0 for me. Gather you smashed a puppy Kags. Wtg.
  • Still feeling lousy, nothing to do but catch up on some rugby league I recorded. Definitely a working class game. High percentage of toothless hags in the crowd compared to it's union counterpart. Very high hoody quotient also. You're right about the manliness of rugby players compared to soccer sissies @hunnybunny just seen a guy get forearm smashed in the face, stagger off not knowing what universe he was in, back on within 2 mins after passing HIA test. Tough isn't the word.
  • If I was feeling lousy, the last thing I would do is watch rugby league when England are batting in the test. I prescribe a dose of TMS. Come to think of it, I would never watch rugby league under any circumstances,
  • What on earth has Harry Wilson done with his hair?! Muppet.
  • Speaking of hair, Todd Murphy looks like he's cut his own... with shears.
  • @DesperateDan Slade track is fab, also known as the “Ken Bruce rushes to bathroom track, after PopMaster”
    @BrianN Elvis Costello’s version of She is better than original, whose singer I’m not not even attempting to spell….
  • No idea on Rugby League, not keen on the Union either, or Football
    Cricket and Tennis for me
  • Hadn't realised the Slade song was one of Ken Bruce's sign offs in his final Radio 2 show. They are criminally underrated and remarkably eclectic.

My theory about women really liking cricket and tennis is that those sports really bring out the players' personalities far more than other team games (yes I know cricket is a team game but most of the time it's a one v one battle between bowler and batter. Golf and snooker as fall into this category. Men don't care so much about all that stuff. Wot, me, generalise?
  • Must agree about Slade I think they were born too soon and tended to get lumped in with shite like Mud(mud is a bit like shite isn't it?) and The Sweet. They certainly knocked out some belters and so much more than a guilty pleasure. And of course immortalised by Reeves and Mortimer. Cup-a-soup anyone?
  • Sitting comfortably? Hope not.

https://youtu.be/cjKcmZGhUrQ
  • Classics again. I know what you'll be doing today @desperatedan but wouldn't it be a time saver if you just play it tomorrow?
  • The problem England have today(and tomorrow) is that the Aussie snooze machine can trundle along playing totally risk free cricket scoring at 2 an over and still win.
  • But we could be saved by the rain.
  • @DesperateDan you could get a PHD on your theory, also watch golf, snooker, and occasionally, darts!
  • No hope on cricket, I fear…
  • The Bunnyman snoozing in the comfy chair, after pub, The Times general knowledge crossword (dreadful effort by four drinkers) and Sunday Lunch
  • Rain here but we got a couple of hours wander along the beach and through the forest before it got wet. We did a 2000 foot mountain yesterday, Twiggy is super dog, I think |I will get her a cape.

Really ought to get a pup today but the bar feels like it is quite high. Only Classics will suffice. Perhaps @karen68 can do another superhuman fling.
  • Does liver and spinach qualify as Sunday Lunch? Maybe in your hands @hunnybunny.
Post in the New Forum!