News & Rumors (Moved to the "New Forum"!) Page 7
  • 1875 Comments
  • BirdLeader do you think they would know if you and 2 friends were using the same activation key. Looking to share the cost of one key since you can use it on three installs.
    Can I share my activation key with my friends?
    No. Per the Rovio FAQ, “A single purchase only allows for single-user use. The activation key is valid for three installs so you can install the game on your desktop or laptop with a single key.” Note, we presume the “or” should be an “and”.
  • If past decisions involving theses kind of licence problems are anything to go by, then technically you can share the activation key with friends. But, of course, that means you limit your installs. So if you share your key with two other friends, then you won't be able to install it on any other of your own machines. Normally a machine is defined by the motherboard and/or MAC address (though it can be defined differently sometimes depending on the software).

The side-note to this (which doesn't involve Angry Birds) would be online gaming, in which a single serial can only be used by one person at any given time. So as long as two people aren't logged in at the same time, it's fine. Technically this same thing kinda applies even to offline games; however, I don't think there's ever been any sort of conviction for such a situation because of the fact that there's not a good way to see if a single serial is being used simultaneously.
  • I've heard that there is going to be something called "revenge of the pigs"
  • Any word on when the AB board game will be released?
  • Thanks for the preview, x6xBowserx6x. Looks like it's gonna be FUN!
  • when will there be another update for any of the angry birds games for iPhone please?
  • @BirdLeader That's cool. It's there for everyone to watch and get the most out of it.
  • just been an update for rio on app store first half of new episode a carnival them
  • I'm not seeing that update with my iPhone. What device are you running?
  • iphone 3gs it was strange how found it cus theirs a new format on the app store wher u brows wot apps u have instald and it sed update next to it so hope tht helps also im english so mite not be in othier countries yet if u not from uk
  • I've got the Rio update (Carnival, part 1) loaded from the app store here in the USA (Michigan). Have been expecting the original AB update, what a nice surprise to find the Rio!
  • wow, wasn't expecting a Rio update until end of june at the earliest. And a Carnival level--after having seen the movie, I wasn't expecting it until the last or next to last world.
  • Rovio has updated Angry Birds PC to v1.5.2 and Angry Birds Rio PC to v1.1.1 at their download store http://download.angrybirds.com I don't see anything different in Rio it still don't have the newest Carnival Upheaval levels.
  • I'm fed up of waiting now, it's so frustrating knowing that the AB update is ready and finished, but that the approval process has taken over a week. I know I shouldn't be impatient as Rovio are brilliant at updating & constantly adding to their products, but I wish Chillingo or Apple would hurry up with whatever it is they still need to do before letting it drop.

S.
  • How much longer can we possibly wait?!
    It's been almost two weeks already, if not more.

Sorry about being so whiny, I am just really impatient now :)
  • No one knows. There is a ton of QA that needs to happen to make sure a game that goes out to this many users doesn't royally screw things up. I don't think you're being whiny and I realize it's frustrating. That said, if people keep complaining as much as they are I do know that Rovio will stop giving us any indication that an update is coming. Heck, they already did this with Carnival Upheaval. I hope this doesn't become the trend, but maybe it is for the best.
  • Thanks RLZIII and BirdLeader for sharing what's happening in the back of the scene when developers submit their apps. We wish things would move faster, we're doing our best for our fans. Sometimes, things take a little longer than expected, but they happen. Thank you all for being so passionate. Makes us happy to get to the office every morning and stay late every evenings!
  • Haha! I think I'll pass on that fight, though I am feeling pretty tough since I just saw Kung Fu Panda 2 with my son.
  • When restarting an AB game, I'm seeing a new image on the Rovio news part of the screen. A pig with a full mailbag smiling in the sun is in the lower right corner. If touched (I'm on an iPad), the pig has an empty mailbag and is under a raining cloud. AND, the Rovio news info disappears. Is this new, or have I just not noticed before?
  • Hey birdleader and fujitoast, thought you all may like this... http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/06/09/6823024-official-angry-birds-cookbook-will-feature-egg-recipes
    Very cute for Daddies!
  • Should have had a cookbook for Pork, Ham and Bacon recipes!
    Anyone notice Mine and Dine achievements are not on AB original as of yet...just the same old 52 as before?
  • Maybe the new Seasons title will be Beach and BBQ!
  • Any word on what the hold up is with the 'Mine and Dine' update to Angry Birds? Last I heard it was submitted for approval, we got a trailer, and then Rio unexpectedly came out with an update instead.
  • The new achievements just came on AB for Mine and Dine!
  • @CougRon

When Angry Birds was initially released, ClickGamer.com (which was a part of Chillingo, which was eventually bought out by EA Games) was the publisher for the game. After some problems between Rovio and ClickGamer.com, Rovio decided to simply self-publish their own games, since they could distribute all of their games via direct download (so, really, no publisher was ever needed). So all of Rovio's games afterwards (such as Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio) have nothing to do with ClickGamer.com. But, since Rovio is still under a contract with ClickGamer.com for the original game (which will expire within an undisclosed time frame), Angry Birds is still technically published by ClickerGamer.com.

From what I understand, ClickGamer.com doesn't have any say in the creative process of the original Angry Birds (or, likewise, any spin-offs). However, they still have to approve every update that is released. Rovio already submitted the Angry Birds "Mine and Dine" update more than a week ago (pushing two weeks now). First it must go through ClickGamer.com, and then it must go through Apple. This is the reason that it takes longer for original Angry Birds updates to get approved compared to Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio updates.

While Rovio hasn't specified why this update seems to be taking an exceptional amount of time to pass the approval process, they have stated that it's out of their hands and that their part is done. It could be taking longer because Apple is backed up. It could have something to do with ClickGamer.com/Chillingo being owned by EA Games now. We don't know. Though, as @spoonmon pointed out, now that the achievements for the new update are showing up on iOS devices, it probably means that ClickGamer.com has already approved the app and now it's Apple's turn. Normally when the achievements start to show up it's only a matter of days (if that) until we see the app go live.

So, like always, just try to be patient and understand that Rovio is doing everything they can to make sure that updates are delivered in a swift and quality-focused manner. They try to give us a head up when they can about when new updates are set to be released, even though they don't have to by any means. However, it's got to be kept in mind that Rovio has nothing to do with Apple or their approval process (and I doubt they are heavily involved in the ClickGamer.com/Chillingo/EG Games approval process), so Rovio cannot give us a release date on updates; they can only tell us when they have completed their part as a courtesy.

The Angry Birds fan base is beyond massive for a video game (especially a game on the mobile platform) and it's a given that sometimes people are going to get antsy and (especially recently) outspoken about what they think they "deserve" and how they feel about Rovio as a company. Rovio is a very small company with fewer employees than most people think (only 55 as of March, 2011; that's 55 people to serve 250 million people, which means each employee must keep up approximately 4.54 million people's expectations on a daily basis), and that's got to be put into perspective when it comes to what people have come to expect. Releasing updates and/or new games isn't just about speed, it's about quality. As Rovio is still new to the mass-market (they aren't a new company, however, having released dozens of games before Angry Birds) and this time is very critical to them; while they are doing fantastic right now and have made a hit bigger than most game developers' dreams, I'm sure that they realize that the fame they have can be stripped away at any moment by the market (which, especially when dealing with the international market, is changing so often and so radically, is very difficult to keep up with). It's hard to stay at the top, and Rovio is trying very hard to make sure that every product that bears their name is synonymous with quality and care to ensure that they can continue to bring fans entertaining and interactive media intellectual properties and brands that they are committed and loyal to.

Good things come to those who wait. The Angry Birds update is coming, that we know for sure. But we must be patient; Rovio doesn't want updates to be tied up any more than we do. But it's out of their hands now. We've just gotta give it time and trust that with every update, Rovio is doing their best to make sure the fans are getting quality for their purchases within a reasonable time frame.
  • @RLZIII You never cease to amaze me. As always, thanks for taking the time, now go and enjoy your reward for the longest -- and most grammatically correct - forum post in ABN history. :)
  • It's now dropped for iOS woop woop.
  • Mine and Dine is available!
  • argh! I've just downloaded the Mine and Dine update for AB on my iPhone, went to start playing and it's sticks on the initial start up screen! just says loading.... and nothing!
    What do I do? someone please help!
    I've turned my phone off and on again and that has not helped!
    HELP PLEASE?
  • @christieb Just wait for it to load. I thought there was something wrong with mine too but then I just waited and it started up. My guess is it is just loading the updates.
  • It took a while for me also, and it seems like they added a feather counter to the episodes
  • I had the hanging issue, put the device into aeroplane mode and then started the app and it worked fine, once it had started I turned off aeroplane mode again and it still seems fine. Suggests the issue could have something to do with connecting to wireless networks, I have no 3G coverage in the office and I'm not sure if the issue would exist somewhere with good coverage.
  • 3 starred, feathered, golden egg. Next! :-)
  • @RLZIII Thanks for confirming that. I have to admit, that was my suspicion, which is why I decided not to post about it. A new game being announced would be big news, I just couldn't believe that it was going to be called, "Wine And Dine".
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!