Leaderboards for the HD versions of AB?
  • I own both iPhone and iPad, and have off course aquired all standard and HD versions of the AB games. In Game Center, the HD versions get separate leaderboards, even though the only difference between the SD and HD levels (as far as I can see) is the size of the screen.

On the ABN site, there exist no separate leaderboards for the HD versions. This has more or less forced me to choose a platform (winner: iPhone) and I rarely sit down to play the HD version in the fear that I will surpass highscores made on the SD version, and thus scatter my highscores between the SD and HD versions. A little OCD, I know, but I suspect I am not the only one feeling this way.

I appreciate that there exist more platforms then iOS, but as far as I know, none of the other platforms has this separation of SD and HD versions. If this suggestion has been addressed before, I apologize. I got no good hits when I did a search for it. Anyways, hope you at least can consider putting up seperate leaderboards for the HD versions.

Thanks,
    nilsah
  • 8 Comments
  • nilsah, I was in a similar situation until I decided to transfer my progress between devices ( http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/how-to-transfer-angry-birds-progress-between-ios-devices/ ) My primary device is iPad while my iphone remains the casual device.
    The HD leader board was suggested many times before. Birdleader/Slim believe it will create more confusion to the users and more work for the LB guardians.
    Also, there is no point in maintaining two identical leader boards.
  • Nice trick Sal9. At least now I got to copy over the scores from the iPhone to the iPad. Given the fact that I will have to do this task very frequently to maintain the same list on both devices, it is far from ideal, but a very good workaround. And this did indeed eliminate the need for a separate HD version leaderboard. Thanks :)
  • I’m glad nilsah created this topic. I’ve been researching iPads and knew there were HD versions available but didn’t know that GameCenter had separate Leaderboards for SD & HD.

This information confirms it will be OK for me to enter scores achieved on an iPad HD version, on the same leaderboards that so far only contain scores achieved (by me) on a PC.

1. If and when I do this, should I make a note of it somewhere (perhaps in my profile in the “About Me” section) because someone may query the fact that my shown device is PC and yet I’ll have scores from levels that aren’t available to me on PC?

2. Do all the games (Original, Seasons, Rio & Space) come in HD for iPad?

Thanks
  • 1) We do not disallow mixing-and-matching of scores between devices. Pardon the double-negative, but I feel it is the most accurate way of expressing our stand. Mixing scores between, say, iOS and PC is permitted, but be vary careful when doing so.
    i) Your "Total Score" on any given episode may not match either device. This can make it more difficult for you to recognize typos.
    ii) While iOS and PC do not have this issue, the leaderboard has some checks-and-balances in place that disallows certain platforms from entering on certain leaderboards. (e.g., Facebook disallowed from ABo)

2) Yes, all four apps have separate "HD" versions for iPad. These are typically more expensive, but Rovio periodically offer them at $0.99 sales (i.e., same price as SD version).
  • Thanks Slim. My Total Scores on the 2 devices (for Seasons), will be massively different because in order to reach the missing levels, I’ll be rushing through the 15 levels needed to unlock in order to get to my missing “16, 17 & 18” levels. Therefore on the GameCenter leaderboard for Seasons my scores won’t be very good at all. After I’ve done this it will be interesting to see how much I like the touchscreen/smaller screen to see if I end up playing more on the iPad than on PC.

1. Can I have more than one membership with ABN – i.e. is it OK the sign up again under a different username and just enter my iPad scores? I would only do this if I like using the iPad, play on it often enough AND achieve some decent scores. I think its portability is going to be its greatest advantage for me.

2. If it is allowed, has anybody else done this – i.e. established 2 accounts/memberships with you?

3. GameCenter will be new for me. I think I read somewhere that GameCenter automatically records your scores – is this correct and if it does, can you stop this from happening or choose not to record some games? In other words, is GameCenter an “all or nothing” scoring place?

Thanks
  • 1. I think this may be a bit extreme. I think mixing-and-matching is a better choice than creating a whole new account. We HAVE considered allowing multiple leaderboards per user, but there's some issues there as well.

2. I can only think of 1 user who has done this, but did so specifically to highlight Chrome as a very different beast. I don't think such a distinction is necessary between iOS and PC (of course, available levels need not be highlighted, it's just known).

3. Pretty much "all or nothing".
  • Thanks Slim. I agree, 2 memberships would be extreme and a pain having to log on/off both each day.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!