The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 3140
  • 159983 Comments
  • Twiggy does predictions. For a fee. $777.77 and a bag of frozen peas should sort it.
  • Never saw that coming. Honest!
  • Twiggy's predictions are always wrong. Let's hope she goes for Australia.
  • @BrianN Wow! What a job on today’s challenge! Congratulations!!!
  • He's been a bit quiet recently on that front recently, hasn't he. Is this the push for 50 pups?
  • I'm only doing the Challenge when Seasons comes along, occasionally ABO if it's random enough to cancel out the Bluestacks sadsacks However if there was a badge for 50!

Just got lucky early last nite @catsnbirds, sorry I nicked your trophy with your own strat @karen68. There's something evil about that.
  • Well done @BrianN, congrats!
    I can’t believe that score held up for so many years.
  • Valiant Attempt or Epic Fail?
  • Wait a bit... Twiggy's finally making her prediction for the Test Match that finished two hours ago. She's going with South Africa. Like Ben Stokes, always thinking outside the box.
  • Cricket was the winner. I see that Koala batted on all 5 days, quite a rare occurrence.
  • Yep,@despararedan it’s a rare thing
    Name the others
    One is really easy, the slowest English batsman ever
  • Must be Boycott. Seem to remember Flintoff? Would have to Google others.
  • Yes I remember Sir Geoffrey Girlcrib doing it as he never let's us forget it. You can add Rory 'longer than the average mullet' Burns to that list.

All in all given where both teams were when the game kicked off we did well to push them so close. The Aussies arrived with a full complement of players just off the back off their world Mickey Mouse Championship win over India. Some of their key players were given games in the County Championship to acclimatise (we're very obliging that way, can you imagine English players given the same option in Sheffield Shield cricket?)
    Whereas England players were dropping like flies including Leach right at the last minute. Had a warm up game against Ireland that helped no one including Ireland who didn't even put out their strongest team.

There's a difference between brave and bravado and I think Stokes seems to think early declarations are compulsory. That's 3 in a row in tests now and 2 defeats. Take a chill pill Stokesy these are the Ashes we're playing for and we've not owned them for a while. It's also ironic that England's attacking pacey brand of cricket, especially batting is what gave Australia the chance to knock off the runs at their own bumbling pace with only a few overs to spare.

I don't think England should change a thing in terms of Bazball as it's been the best thing to hit test cricket in years and if we'd had a full complement of players we'd wipe the floor with them. But we don't and in the context of an Ashes series I just want to see England win so a little caution wouldn't go amiss. Personally I'd say you should have a really good reason for declaring at under 400 in a test ie the ball's hooping around and you think you can nip a couple out before stumps etc. Not just because it's automatically part of your mindset.

Possibly a lack of spin options is what will cost us the most in terms of a series win. Rehan Ahmed looked a great prospect when he took 5wi on test debut at 18 or 19?But he can't buy a wicket at the moment in county cricket. They may have to stick with. Moeen Ali who I like as a cricketer but it's asking a lot. Perhaps our best option is to produce a few greentops.

Anyways here's hoping we continue to push them close though I feel the Aussies might just have a bit too much for this current England line up.
  • Well @BrianN that’s a bloody missive, that I agree with. I love Stoke’s captaincy, but a little too early on the declaration. Much better than than the Vaughan / Strauss et al “Go for the Draw” mentality, which made Test Cricket so boring.
    Well done on yesterday’s challenge, I got nowhere close.
    You are right on Girlgrip and Mullet
    Next clue: Indian or West Indian?
  • Mr Bunny got two others: English, both legendary players
  • I'd be guessing @hunnybunny but I think @desperatedan's right with Freddie. Indian you say? I'll have your speciality Lamb biriyani or a Beefy Madras? Remember when Goochy made his famous 333 he also got 100 in the second innings against India. Must've been close.
  • Gooch's combined total of over 450 runs in a test remains a record but who are the only 2 batsmen to score individual innings of over 400 runs twice in first class cricket. One is fairly easy the other hysterical Aussie. Historical Aussie.
  • If it wasn't Bradman it was one of his peers around the same time - Ponsford certainly did it at least once.

That Goochie match one of my favourite. India put up a good fight and Kapil Dev saved the follow-on with 9 wickets down and 4 consecutive sixes. I remember listening to that live in sheer disbelief.
  • Lara did it of course, only a few months apart.
  • Well done Sir Dan Wisden. Thought I might trip you up with Ponsford. Bradman did it but once. Lara did break the test and first class records months apart but his second quadruple century came 10 years later at antigua.

Perhaps the most remarkable was Archie Mclaren as he was the first to do it in the 1890's when pitches weren't that great. Anyway I seem to have usurped your quiz @hunnybunny but I'll leave you with this, and you should get it. Who did it most recently?
  • It was last year in the County Championship I think
  • Yes, Lara sat on the record for that ten years, Haydon broke it so Lara simply just took it back again.
    Welcome to the Angry Ducks Nest (geddit?).
  • On my quiz: Freddie, Chaunderpaul ( spelling? The clue was Indian or West Indian) and not Beefy but Lamby

Last clue, if you watched the IPL, the three most annoying commentators were the “up his own arse” KP, that very annoying NZ, Danny something, and an Indian who just never shuts up?

Tonight’s T20 was bloody excellent: 500 runs off 40 balls

Back to read Brian’s quiz
  • Sam Northeast playing for Glamorgan, of course
    We have our ups and downs…
  • Anyway, Brian, how are you doing in your Season’s quest?
    I’m stuck in the gloomy, dark, miserableness of Mooncake
  • Wrong, it was Bert Southwest.

KP 'up his own arse'? Surely not. I think Piers Morgan performs that function. Ravi Shastri? (Annoying Indian IPL commentator who never shuts up and once batted all five days of a test?)
  • Seasons update.

Did well in Haunted Hogs just nicked top spot off Andy. Hoping for second in Winter Wonderham.
  • Can't stay, battery very very low, I'll come back in later, just want to say, weekend said it, I am giving up on Poached Eggs, think I'm going to join in Seasons with Brian and the Bunny, sorry Dan :( I just don't have the patience.
    OB I'll have a Mimosa and one of Sunshine's famous Pigmuffins :)
    *Poof*
  • Hi @kathy... er bye @kathy...
  • Some good bands on at Glasto tnite including these guys.

https://youtu.be/yOFxb0F2F2A
  • They were guys!
    Very good.
    Just watched some of CHVRCHES at Glasto. Lauren had an unfortunate "wardrobe malfunction". Can't say too much more here.
    Looking forward to Elton, of course.
  • Can't we just all fork up for some batteries for @kathy? She's gonna need a lot for Seasons.
  • Right on Ravi, Brian

Just back from a Birthday Party
    In heels I can actually walk in, a beautiful halter neck showing off my bronzed shoulders and toned arms, smoky eyes, full Cougar mode!
    Out the back smoking, the lovely, handsome, muscular Lewis (def not Hamilton) is there, and varying other drunken smokers.
    Dancing Queen by ABBA comes on “it was released in 1976, I was 16, and desperately wanted to be 17”
    Lewis replies “my mother was seven in 1976”
    I slunk away…
    To be fair, he did give me a nice hug later, probably because I reminded him of his mum

• Was transported away from Glasto by 'The unbearable weight of massive talent'. Fantastically funny film unreserved recommendation.

Young Fathers great set.
  • Miffed that the John Peel stage is no more.
  • Glad those heels were reasonable @hunnybunny I still have nightmares about thr minor injuries unit.
  • Not sure about the smokey eyes.
  • Too much going on at Glasto. Maisie Peters beautiful.
  • Not another rock star. So @kathy is a new tablet out of reach?
  • Back to your French toyboy then @hunnybunny?
    Quiz question. Name other songs that reference being 17.
    (Not 15, which is where John Peel came unstuck).
  • Don't think that was given as the official reason for changing the stage names but anyway here's a couple of very different songs.
    Sam Fender:17 going under
    The Regents:7teen.
  • I've got at least two more. Doesn't have to be in the title.
  • If anyone can force themselves to use Classics, I think there might be a puppy chance today.
  • Well, not seventeen, but teenage, given 28 stars by John Peel

https://youtu.be/PinCg7IGqHg
  • Watching Glastonbury
    Interested to see Guns’n’Roses and what Axel looks like now
  • Where’s @jlz666 who loves Slash?
  • Half battery life, figured I'd lol in and say Hi and grab a PigKiller:) good news All my Seasons scores and stars are intact! Bts @Brian I have 2 tablets, one for flinging, one for Nesting, both are Sprint tablets, which Sprint went out of business so neither are "supported" and both are old so I need a new tablet, but No need for a collection to buy me one although I appreciate the thought, I just need to figure out out, for 1 the games are no longer available in the play store I don't think, and I don't know how to transfer from m these tablets to a new one sooooo, I'll just hang by a thread until I figure something out :/ I'm working on it somewhat.
    Anyhoo I'm breaking my hardfast rule to NOT USE device while charging, which I've never done but 'meh what can happen now lol 'i kill the battery" lol well I don't know where to start in Seasons I have to have a look at my board , but for now I'm starting Piglantis, it's always a been my favourite so until @Hunnybunny tells me where to start I'll be there!
    I miss this place, it's still peaceful, gonna go sit on the patio near the Avaiary and listen to the birds practice :)
    OB send the Blues at regular intervals with refills on the PigKillers :)
    @DesperateDan I hope you and Twiggy are doing okay, you can always pm me if you feel like a chat, or just a quiet time with a friend :)
Post in the New Forum!